Chakra balancing means to open, unblock, tune, and align
your chakras. The purpose of chakra balancing is to
dissolve blockages before they manifest in the physical
body in the form of pain and sickness (although it can also
be helpful with physical conditions). You will find a sample
of chakra balancing meditation at the end of this page.
Crystals, being symmetrical in their molecular structure,
radiate energy in a consistent and steady manner. When
they're used in chakra balancing they can help to
reestablish a healing, creative flow.
First Chakra - Root or Base Chakra
(base of the spine)
The first chakra represents our relationship with our
physical bodies and with the material world. It grounds us in
physical existence. When balanced, its energy helps us to
blend the physical and spiritual, and to eliminate that which
is no longer needed for growth. We enjoy physical
existence. When unbalanced, we may be afraid of life, feel
like victims, withdraw from physical reality, or operate in our
own interests only. Physical symptoms can include any
difficulties with feet, legs, or lower back.
Stones associated with the first chakra:
- Black Tourmaline: This is a protective stone when
you feel threatened at the survival level.
- Hematite: This stone helps you to set protective
boundaries when you feel as if others are intruding
into your private space.
- Black and Snowflake Obsidian help you to see
what material things you no longer need for growth.
- Smoky Quartz helps to blend the energies of the
first and seventh chakras.
- Bloodstone can stimulate energy.
- Carnelian is associated with creativity and decision-
- Red Garnet encourages patience.
- Red Jasper helps to connect us to the flowing
energies of the earth.
- Ruby, the stone of passion, enhances sensory
- Ruby in Zoisite is a way to benefit from ruby's
energy in a grounding form.
- Fire Agate promotes and enhances energy; it fires
up the base chakra and stimulates vitality on all
- Cedar Wood
Second Chakra - Sacral Chakra
(just above the pelvic bone)
This chakra is most directly related to energy flow, as
expressed in the flow of blood, and especially with the
energies of sexuality and creativity. It is also deeply
connected to the five physical senses. When it is
unblocked people feel fully alive, energetic, spontaneous,
guilt-free, and in full appreciation of their bodies. When it is
unbalanced reproductive organ diseases, joint stiffness,
and various blood disorders may result.
Stones associated with the second chakra:
- Citrine is a stone of success, prosperity and
regeneration; attracts self-worth, activates mental
powers, flushes emotional blocks.
- Amber, a powerful protector, cleanser, and healer; it
absorbs negative energies and transmutes them into
- Fire Opal enhances personal power, inner fire, and
- Moonstone stimulates knowing, appreciation,
nurturing, mothering, selflessness, sensitivity and
Third Chakra - Solar Plexus Chakra
(navel and solar plexus area)
This is the chakra of physical and material power, with an
emphasis on mastery in the physical realm, especially the
ability to manifest one's hopes and dreams. It relates to
expressing one's unique individuality in the physical world.
When it is unblocked people feel self-confident, have a
clear sense of purpose, and pursue dreams which others
would consider impossible. Imbalances appear as lack of
self-confidence, insecurity about money or other physical
things, and may also express itself in terms of being
aggressive or using one's power to dominate others.
Physical symptoms are usually digestive.
Stones associated with the third chakra:
- Aragonite has a calming and stabilizing effect,
especially on emotions such as anger and stress.
- Citrine is the stone most related to manifesting
abundance and to the balanced use of will.
- Golden Calcite helps to integrate new energies and
beliefs areas related to personal empowerment,
such as relationships and business.
- Rutilated Quartz helps to add enhanced creating
energy to our dreams.
- Tiger's Eye helps you to feel secure about physical
existence; it helps to teach us good timing in terms of
when to act on a dream.
- Unakite helps us to understand the mental and
emotional sources for it. It is also believed to help
release conditions which have been inhibiting
The Fourth Chakra - Heart Chakra
This chakra relates to love and emotional well-being. When
it is unblocked we give love unconditionally and attract to
ourselves those people who give us an abundance of love.
When it is blocked we feel the lack of love in our lives as
keenly as those with third-chakra blockages feel a lack of
material security. Heart conditions are the most common
Stones associated with the fourth chakra:
- Aventurine is the stone most related to physical
health and heart balancing.
- Emerald relates most directly to the spiritual aspects
- Jade helps reduce tension in your life; experience
the feeling of serenity; protects one from enemies
and during long journeys.
- Green Calcite: eases old, limiting beliefs (especially
those based on fear) from the mind so that new
ideas can flourish.
- Green Tourmaline opens the creative elements of
the heart, i.e., adding an emotional depth to one's
- Lepidolite helps to calm the heart and relieves
- Malachite releases congestion in the solar plexus,
and aids creativity.
- Malachite-Chrysocolla blends malachite's ability
with Chrysocolla's gift of soothing and calming.
- Pink Calcite helps to release old and hurtful
emotional patterns so that the heart can be open to
receive and give unconditional love.
- Rhodochrosite helps to relieve anxiety.
- Rhodonite helps us to be patient with others.
- Rose Quartz is the stone for helping to create
Fifth Chakra - Throat Chakra
This chakra governs communication and mental creativity.
When it is balanced we communicate easily and effectively
with others in both written and verbal form. This includes
being able to constructively express anger and other
emotions. When it is blocked communication is difficult to
impossible. Blockages of this chakra can include excessive
eating and drinking, and a range of respiratory diseases.
Teeth and gum disorders fall into this category, as well.
Stones for the fifth chakra:
- Angelite helps us to communicate with angels and
other nonphysical beings, as well as aiding in long-
distance communication. It also helps to dissolve
- Aqua Aura teaches us self-expression through
service to others.
- Aquamarine helps us to express ourselves in a
- Blue Lace Agate helps to ground our
communications with a sense of what can be
- Blue Topaz helps us to communicate fearlessly that
which we know to be true, and also stimulates
- Celestite helps to calm the over-active mind and
teaches us how to be receptive
- Chrysocolla helps one to have self-confidence in
- Larimar enables us to communicate with others that
which we feel deeply in our hearts and souls.
- Turquoise helps us to enroll others to help in the
manifestation of our desires.
Sixth Chakra - Third Eye or Brow Chakra
This is the psychic center, and, when unblocked, the
source of intuition, esp, and other psychic abilities. This
chakra is particularly related to the fears of cultures which
wish to believe only that which they can experiences with
the physical senses, and blockages abound, including fear
of the imagination, of dreams, and one's "irrational"
intuitions. Physical symptoms of blockage may include
persistent headaches, insomnia, and anxiety.
Stones associated with the sixth chakra:
- Amethyst, known as nature's tranquilizer, helps in
sleep and in peaceful dreams.
- Azurite helps us to consciously look at old
programmed beliefs and dissolve them.
- Charoite helps to dissolve fears, both known and
- Hawk's eye helps us to see our lives as with aerial
- Kyanite reminds me that everything which happens
is for a purpose, and that we are ultimately in
charge, and often brings to surface beliefs we have
accepted as fact.
- Lapis helps us to discover our hidden beliefs and
bring them to the surface.
- Sodalite helps in balance when one is emotionally
or mentally confused.
- Moss agate helps to balance the left and right sides
of the brain.
- Sugilite helps to release resentment and guilt.
Seventh Chakra - Crown Chakra (also white color)
(crown of the head)
The seventh chakra is our direct connection to spirit. When
it is balanced we understand our relationship with the
universe. We dissolve the illusion that we are separate
from other humans and other forms of life. We appreciate
our uniqueness and our places as parts of the whole.
When it is blocked we compare ourselves to others or to
internal checklists (and usually find ourselves wanting). We
feel lonely, we are afraid of death.
Stones associated with the seventh chakra:
- Clear Calcite brings spiritual understanding to
problems on the earth plane.
- Clear Quartz: Quartz is a power stone that
harmonizes and balances. It enhances energy and
thoughts, and purifies the spiritual, mental, and
physical. It is also a powerfully protective stone,
bringing the purified energy in.
- Pyrite helps us to come up with creative ideas which
can help bring abundance in our lives.
- Danburite helps us to view what happens in our
lives from the soul perspective and have a feeling of
calmness and serenity even when life seems very
- Herkimer Diamond: this form of clear quartz is
especially brilliant, and has a particular ability to
dissolve chakra blockages.
- Moldavite brings you into communication with the
higher self; it opens, clears, and aligns the chakras.
Click here for more healing properties of gemstones.
Chakra Balancing Meditation
You should balance all of your chakras, even if you have a
particular one to work on. Choose one or more stones for
each chakra. Lie down and place them on the appropriate
location. You may wish to put a drop of essential oil
associated with the particular chakra.
Clear your mind and relax. Inhale deeply, and imagine you
are breathing in relaxation; and breathing out all the stress
and negativity you might have in you. Breath in relaxation;
breath out stress. Repeat this a couple of times until you
feel perfectly relaxed and stress-free.
As you inhale next, imagine that you are breathing in
bright, golden light of energy coming in through the crown
of your head and filling your whole body. As you exhale
imagine it traveling down your body and exiting through the
soles of your feet. Then reverse it: with the next inhalation,
imagine that this glowing light is entering your body at the
sole of your feet, filling in your whole body. Exhale and
visualize that the light is leaving through the crown of your
After you've practiced this for a while and you feel totally
relaxed, visualize the color associated with each chakra as
the breath travels through the related part of the body.
Now visualize a round circle of pulsating red light at the
base of the spine. Visualize it larger and larger until it
covers the whole of the lower spine. Imagine that you are
drawing a current of energy into your root/base chakra so
that it grows warm and begins to glow and pulsate with red
energy and light.
Then draw this pulsating energy up to your second/ sacral
chakra in the center of your belly. Visualize it spiraling
upwards until your second chakra begins to glow with
spinning orange light. Allow the orange circle to grow larger
and larger, spinning with energy.
Draw more energy in from the base of the spine and bring
it up through your second chakra to the third, the solar
plexus chakra. Visualize the spinning, pulsating energy
activating your third chakra as it starts glowing with yellow
Go back to the base of the spine again and draw energy in
and up the spine, past the second and third chakras, up to
the center of the chest bone, to your heart chakra. Let the
energy spin faster and faster and the circle of energy grow
bigger and bigger until it covers your whole chest with a
green glowing light.
Go back to the base of the spine again and draw energy
up through the spine, past the heart chakra to the throat.
Allow the energy to stream into your throat chakra and to
spin faster with pulsating blue light.
Go back to the base of the spine to renew the energy.
Draw in energy through the base of the spine, up through
the sacral chakra, the solar plexus, the heart, and the
through the throat chakra, all the way up to the third eye
chakra at the center of your forehead. Allow the energy
spin faster and faster until there is a spiralling violet light
center in the middle of your forehead.
Go back to the base of the spine again and draw energy in
and up the spine, past the second and third chakras, the
heart and throat chakras, past the third eye. Allow the
current of energy spin faster and faster and shoot up and
out through the crown of the head. Then visualize the
energy to cascade back down the body, bathing it in bright,
white light, and flowing down to the feet in a stream.
Visualize all your chakras open, vibrating, spinning with
pulsating energy. Imagine your whole body filled with light,
and all your chakras aligned.
Repeat this for as long as you wish. You can't overdo
chakra balancing, and it's a relaxing and simple way to
meditate. As you continue to practice it, you will find
yourself more attuned to your subtle energies. You will
become more aware of imbalances before they express